Review: The Silence (2019)




My rating: 4

So this is A Quiet Place all over again, a deaf girl being portrayed as having some sort of advantage when terrible creatures attack the Earth. Except, this idea does not work very well in this film and seems to be too forced within the plot as it just does not seem authentic because of the acting skills of the actress. I just could not believe she is deaf, meanwhile in A Quiet Place the actress is just so natural I had no doubts on this while watching. 
Still, what I missed the most in A Quiet Place is present here to some extent. The tension and pressure building seems to be working better in The Silence, at least I felt so. As for horror elements, there is just the creatures. We get to see some dead bodies torn into pieces, get some thrills when humans also are portrayed as yet another kind of monsters... but overall the film is not too heavy, the images are not THAT terrifying. However, there are some montages thrown in to show how terrible the creatures are, but film would have been better off without them.  
Generally, the special effects and the creatures were a bit off, but it is not that tragic. But I believe you will expect more than what you will get. 

I personally like when a dystopian film begins with the 'before' part of an apocalypse, as then a nice contrast can be shown and it is easier to convey a certain character development. The Silence is one of those film so thumbs up for that.
I enjoyed this film more than A Quiet Place, there is no doubt on that. Would I recommend it though? Not really. 

Tension: 4 | Gore: 1 | Originality: 3 | Action: 4



But... why would you take a deaf girl for a supply run? She cannot hear how much noise she would make.

Comments