Review: The Hunt (2020)




My rating: 4

An average film, with really annoying dialogues

There is no long introduction to anything we are about to see but you basically get the idea of what the entire film is about right away as the first gore scene comes in just after the beginning. And overall, the film goes on at a relatively quick pace as this is more of an action film than a horror. That is of course until someone opens their mouth... Well yeah, I had quite an issue with the dialogues in the film.

In all honesty, I do not quite understand the way this film is trying to approach the constant referencing to George Orwell. I mean they do try to bring forward political issues and questions that are discussed nowadays, but the constant mocking of all these political topics is just stupid and gets annoying way too early for me to not roll my eyes so hard I saw inside of my skull. What really do these two works have in common? I just do not really see any deep meaning in the film, feels like someone read 10 sentence long summary of Animal Farm and thought they could think out the rest of it and base a movie on what they think Animal Farm is about.

Generally, the films attempts to be comedy are very badly executed. It does not fit the mood of the film most of the time, it is not funny and not appropriate.

The characters are just plain stupid except for the main protagonist. In my opinion, the lead actress did great job in helping to create a very interesting character. Her facial expressions were great and honestly, her scenes were the only ones that I found somewhat good and funny in a very natural way. I do not like the one-against-all film concepts most of the time, but I must admit I did not really mind it in this film as her performance was great and all the other characters were just either ridiculed too much or not standing out at all. The protagonist seemed to be the only one left with some brain cells and maybe she was way too smart even...

But to talk about some horror elements - there is no breath-taking tension, you will not get scared nor feel really disturbed from the gore scenes as they are still, in my opinion, quite the standard we are used to see in action films... maybe some are more bloody, but nothing THAT disgusting.

The reveal of the main idea and the final plot twist was not really something I expected. Throughout the entire ending I felt some sort of deja vu and that was because it reminded me so much of some scenes from Kill Bill.

Overall I wish the film would not try to force the comedy elements and politics into every other scene. It would have been much more interesting to see this whole thing as a purely action-horror film. But I still kind of enjoyed the action apect of it, maybe because it has been a while since I saw something similar, and since there is a lot of similar films preferably watch something else.



MORE SPOILERS BELOW:
If the entire idea of the film was to kill anyone who falsely accused Athena of wanting to kill people, (thus the revenge) why did she turned the hunt into a sort of a fair battle by giving them guns at the beginning? Also her being a martial art expert after 8 months training... Also her mentioning killing people in a text message in the beginning...
After the rabbit story I somewhat expected Athena to be Crystal's mother.
I liked that there was a pig in a shirt lol but I would expect to take more than an animals dressing in human clothing from the Orwells book



Gore: 2 | Tension: 2 | Action: 5 | Comedy: 2 | Originality: 3

Comments