Review: Haunt (2019)



My rating: 8
A better slasher film.

Honestly, Haunt is one of the best slasher films I have seen in a while. The plot itself is relatively simple though with some unexpected twists, the characters are not too stupid (which is rare) and I think the cast was a right choice for this one.
Of course a group of teenagers getting into trouble on Halloween night is nothing new within the subgenre, but Haunt tries to add a bit of depth to the concept by analysing past traumatic experiences of one of the characters. To a certain extent, these flashbacks still seemed not to be crucial for the development of the character herself or the plot, but I still did not mind it and I believe it made me feel some sympathy for the character.

As for the horror elements, overall, this film may be just an ordinary slasher with a bit more tension than I am used to in this type of movies; but the tension gets almost unbearable in some parts. The entire mood of the film was underlined by well chosen creepy costumes and rough gore scenes. It felt like there was always something going on, that is also partially because film is not too long.

I enjoyed watching Haunt and would recommend.

Tension: 8 | Gore: 6-7 | Originality: 4


Comments